Barangay Tigum is one of the 18 barangays of the Municipality of Pavia in the Province of Iloilo. It is an agricultural barangay of 368.62 hectares including the residential area, composed of 5 puroks.
Tigum is separated from the town proper by the Tigum River, which serves as a boundary from the Poblacion. It is one kilometer from the plaza (town proper) to the barangay center.
Tigum is accessible through the provincial road which connects the municipalities of Leganes, Sta. Barbara and Tacas, Jaro, Iloilo City.
The barangay has a total population of 2,251 with 474 households as of the latest SRA Survey in 2009.
Rice is the main crop of the barangay with an average production of 1,160.25 metric tons from 360 hectares of rice farm.
Tigum has earned its prestige as the “Rice Granary of Pavia”.
There are livestock such as cows, carabaos, goats, poultry and swine.
The barangay has 25 sari-sari stores, 3 rubber type polisher rice mill and 8 rice threshers.
There are 39 tricycles, 4 motorcycles, private cars, 7 owner type jeepneys, 21 bicycles and 7 jeepneys for hire. Other livelihood establishments are:
- Piggery Farm – 1
- Welding Shop – 3
- Palay Buying Station – 3
Economic income distributed as follows:
? Farming – 50%
? Employed – 30%
? Self Employed – 15%
? Pensioners – 5%
Educational and Social Services
Tigum A.N.P. Pilot Elementary School serves as a training center for Kinder and primary education headed by the present principal Mrs. Loyda Subong. It has a total of 420 pupils for the school year 2010-2011.
The Day Care Center serves as the center for children ages 1-4 years old supervised by Mrs. Isabel “Joy” Himatay, Day Care Worker.
The Health Center helps and facilitates the needs of the people by giving free checkups and free medicines for minor illnesses and diseases.
The Barangay Hall serves as the conference hall of the barangay officials as well as the local court of the barangay.
Infrastructures and Utilities
- Bridge – 47 meters
- Barangay Roads – 0.750 kilometers
- Provincial Road – 2.5 kilometers
- Waiting Sheds – 1.5 units
- Farm to market – 2.0 markets
- The SK Hall, Tanod Outpost, Police Assistance Center and Barangay Justice Hall are housed in a two-storey building.
Communication and Facilities
- Electricity is supplied by the Iloilo Electric Cooperative I (ILECO I). The telephone services are provided by PLDT and ISLACOM. Sky Cable and Sun Cable for the cable services.
- Water used for irrigation is supplied by the Sta. Barbara Irrigation System under the National Irrigation Agency (NIA) supervision.
- The barangay is also the recipient of projects such as:
- PALACATI-AN Office in 2007 – PACAP Funded
- Flat Bed Mechanical Dryer from the Department of Agriculture (DA)
Awards and Certificates of Recognition Received
- ? The Greenest and Cleanest Barangay in the Municipality of Pavia (awarded by the DILG and the Municipal Government, 1994).
- ? Outstanding in the Municipality of Pavia during the 1st Barangay Day Celebration of Pavia last November 7, 2000 as the Cleanest Barangay.
- ? Most outstanding Barangay Secretary (awarded by the Municipal Government and DILG, Pavia Covered Gymnasium, November 7, 2000).
- ? Outstanding Barangay in whole Second District of Iloilo. Awarded last November 11, 2000 during the celebration of the Provincial Barangay Week at the Iloilo Sports Complex Stadium by the Provincial DILG and Provincial Government.
- ? Outstanding Sangguniang Barangay in the whole Province of Iloilo, November 11, 2000 at the Iloilo Sports Complex Stadium by the Provincial Government.
- ? Outstanding Lupong Tagapamayapa in the whole Province of Iloilo.
- ? Recipient of Disaster Management Training of the Philippine National Red Cross last June 27 to July 1, 2001.
- ? Outstanding Barangay in the Municipality of Pavia for the year 2002, awarded last May 3, 2002 as the Cleanest and Greenest Barangay.
- ? Third Place as for the Most Outstanding Barangay Tanod in Pavia, awarded last 2004 by the Municipal Government.
- ? Most Outstanding Barangay Secretary, awarded last January 6, 2006 by the DILG and Municipal Government of Pavia.
- ? 1st Place – Agro-Industrial Fair Best Booth Contest 2008 sponsored by LGU Pavia and Municipal Agriculture Office.
- ? 1st Place – Agro-Industrial Fair Best Booth Contest 2009 sponsored by LGU Pavia and Municipal Agriculture Office.
- ? 1st Place Search for the Gawad Punong Bayan sa Kapaligiran and Inter-Barangay Contest for the Cleanest and greenest and Over-all Best Performing barangay in the Municipality of Pavia for the year 2009.
- ? 1st Place Agro-Trade Fair 2010 Search for Best Booth Contest sponsored by LGU Pavia and Municipal Agriculture Office.